1. Christopher Columbus wasn't his real name. Other languages have changed his name, too: he is Cristóbal Colón in Spanish and Kristoffer Kolumbus in Swedish, for example. Even his Genoese name is not certain, as historical documents about his origin are scarce. Christopher Columbus is an Anglicization of his real name, given to him in Genoa where he was born: Cristoforo Colombo.
2. He was a dedicated slave trader. Since his voyages were primarily economic in nature, Columbus was expected to find something valuable on his travels. Columbus was disappointed to find that the lands he discovered were not full of gold, silver, pearls and other treasures, but he soon decided that the natives themselves could be a valuable resource. He brought several of them back after his first voyage, and even more after his second voyage. He was devastated when Queen Isabela decided that the New World natives were her subjects, and therefore could not be enslaved. Of course, during the colonial era, the natives would be enslaved by the Spanish in all but name.
3. Half of his voyages ended in disaster. ( Collapse )
* Мифы о Средневековье. RU: Тогда 9 из 10 человек умирали, не дожив и до 40 лет * В Средние века люди были намного ниже нас * Люди прошлого были очень грязными и редко мылись * В преддверии 1000 года н.э. люди по всей Европе ждали конца света * Викинги носили шлемы с рогами * Жанна д’Арк была сожжена, как ведьма * До Колумба люди думали, что Земля плоская * Колумб открыл Америку
* 18 неожиданных фактов о 300 спартанцах. RU * 12 малоизвестных фактов о гладиаторах. RU