Imagine texting while driving, or placing a call while showering, without holding your phone in your hands. It’s not sci-fi any more – a new technology allows information like text messages and driving directions to be projected onto a contact lens. The hardware behind this invention is a spherical curved LCD display that can fit into a contact lens, developed by..Ghent University’s Centre of Microsystems Technology in Belgium.
“This is not science fiction,” chief researcher for the project Jelle De Smet told the Telegraph. “This will never replace the cinema screen for films. But for specific applications it may be interesting to show images such as road directions or projecting text messages from our smart phones straight to our eye.”
These lenses may hit the market within the next few years. In an upgrade from previous models, a new LCD display allows the entire curved surface of the lens to be used.
Earlier versions were based on LEDs, where the display resolution would be limited to only a small number of pixels.
The University of Washington has also been developing new generation of contact lenses that would receive emails and would be able to project information from the Internet, much like in the movie ‘Terminator.’
Other uses of the lens include the concept of adaptable sunglasses – the contact lenses would darken on exposure to light. The lenses could also be used in the fields of medicine and cosmetics.
These advances mark the push for a much wider development of the technology, with the aim of creating a fully pixelated contact lens display as detailed as a television screen.
Tech giants such as Google and Apple have been working to develop similar technology. This past year, Google introduced Project Glass – frames for eyeglasses that project a small computer display into a person’s field of vision. Apple has reportedly patented similar innovations. источник myscienceacademy.org/2012/12/13/terminat
some comments. - omg.. robots aren't going to take over the world, we're turning into the robots! I see you government. - nah, its called transhumanism. its inevitable for our evolution. without it robots would actually probably take over the world. we'll eventually evolve into godlike beings due to technology merging with our bodies. look it up...
- So we've pretty much said screw google glasses and went straight to contacts.
- Oh joy another piece of cancerous tech, like we need the wifi exposure on our eyes. I can just see the incidence of eye cancer going through the roof after this has been released to the public. I wonder what are the long term effects on your sight if you don't get cancer first. Also as it is, it's hard enough getting a persons undivided attention since the smartphone, what's this going to cause?
- Where do you get this idea of cancer from?
- Ignorant people
- Yeah but they didn't told that at this state the user cant read anything cause its still to blurry ^^...the still a long way to go.
- Alien tech
- this is so friggin awesome! suck it haters!
- I sing while I shover, and I talk to people while I drive. Please, don't make me wear those.